The BugHouse SPIN youtube channel is finally up and running.
January SPIN, theme: Mother’s (with a capital M)
Check it out!
Greg Johnson: Mother’s – A story about about banana peel sex, shame and the women who saved him.
Mariah MacCarthy: excerpt from Baby Mamma – A birth mother’s story of birthing and saying good-bye to her son, all in less than 48 hours.
Pierce Delahunt: Love & Loss – A mother falls close to her son.
Laura Pruden: Zen Laundry – Lice, time, zen, laundry and all that time.
Past SPINs will be up over the next month.
A couple of days after the SPIN, a friend asked me if I was OK? He said that I looked a little “intense” at the end of the night. I was OK, I am OK; but mother’s are intense. They are life giver’s and life taker’s. They are us, we are them. We can pry away, but ultimately, they are inescapable.
- Shame is often silent.
- What if the cultural script (small talk) is the wrong thing to say?
- For example, to a mother “What do you do with all that extra time?”
- When will open adoption could get more air time in feminist dialogue?
- What people say when they are uncomfortable: “I could never do that.” This can be alienating and feel like passive (or outright) judgment.
- Productivity is a front-line value that limits.
This is what we wrote on the board: